Thursday 28 February 2008

Seriously, he WASN'T.

Another Hayden can't hurt. I just saw a trailer of his new film, Jumper. There is a chance it could be at least remotely interesting, even though the concept is kind of silly. I read his interview in the latest Glamour magazine (which btw had an interview of LINDSAY LOHAN as well, and a photoshoot of her in a terrible dress), and he said how he loves travelling, but hates the act of it. I couldn't agree more. I like it when I'm in places other than Finland, I just detest the flights and packing and everything else that comes with it. If only you could just jump everywhere in a matter of seconds!

I also noticed how convenient the English language is. I'm often frustrated during lectures when I try to make notes in Finnish - I have to abbreviate every freaking word so I don't lose track of where the lecture is going! But if the lecture is in English, I even have some spare time between taking notes! The same goes for writing essays and papers: The sentences in Finnish just become ridiculously long, even when you're saying something really simple. Not to mention how easily you can mess the case endings if you're not paying enough attention. In English, you will notice if you've missed a preposition, or an article. In Finnish, it's so easy not to notice if there is one or two letters wrong at the end of one word!

Having said all this, I don't hate Finnish, I have learned to cherish my opportunity to write a paper in Finnish for the first time during my studies. In fact, I hate it how so many people use English words and phrases in the middle of speaking Finnish. I'm like, why are you polluting your beautiful language like that? Have you no respect for your mother tongue? English isn't nearly as beautiful as a language as Finnish, it's simply a lingua franca you can't get rid of. Don't mix the two. I suppose I'm being a little tight-assed about this, but I can't help it. I do love English, though, I just don't appreciate how some people seem to sprinkle in a few English words here and there, just to show that they can. And as one of my English teachers once said, "that is just something really annoying".

Alien 3 was on tv last night. I had to watch it, having seen it only a gazillion times. It was still just as enjoyable. I love the ambience all the alien movies have, even if they're not scary anymore. Sigourney Weaver is a seriously wonderful actress. It's a pity she's so old now, I can't see her doing yet another Alien movie as a granny.

The aliens versus predator films have been nowhere near as good as the alien ones... what is so difficult in creating a real story for a film? Is it too much to ask to have characters that have a tiny bit of credibility and, you know, character?? I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would shoot a ridiculously expensive movie, only to ruin it with a non-existent story line and zero suspense.

For what it's worth, the predator and his space ship looked nice. The aliens you could hardly get a glimpse at, which should have made them more scary, but it didn't. Sigh.

I used to draw aliens all the time a few years back. I should dig out those pictures and put them up here, since otherwise this is going to be oil colour pictures only. I don't use pencils for serious artwork, I only ever use them when trying to come up with an idea for a painting. I think it's boring to make a picture using only a pencil and no colour. I need colours.

2 comments:

Amoena said...

"I'm like, why are you polluting your beautiful language like that?"

Ehkä parhain lause tähän mennessä :P

Mä muuten luen tän aina silleen 12 sisällä siitä kun oon päivittänyt. Et älä luule ettei kukaan lue tätä :D

ELINA said...

Joo, kielipoliisi iski taas... :p

Aattelenki niin et ei tätä kukaa muu lue, siinä on hyvät ja huonot puolensa....