Tuesday 19 February 2008

Another self-portrait.

This is one of my earliest paintings. I'd forgotten this one, and how much I actually like it. The profile has only a faint resemblance to me, so mind you, I'm not this ugly. And I don't have red hair. Or light blue skin. Or an insanely muscular neck.

What I like about this picture is the colours (now there's a surprise), but for a different reason than usual: here, they're not exactly in harmony. As much as the Brits may like their flag with its horribly disharmonious imperial blue and red, I don't think anyone can sincerely say that they go well together.

Here, the blue, let's say person, really jumps out from the background, because it is cold in tone, and the background is warm. Moreover, I mixed in some white to create an impression of form to the person, whereas I didn't mix the red at all. Somehow, the person looks like an ancient sculpture, you know, the nowadays colourless marble sculptures from Ancient Greece and Rome.

I also think the violet-yellow character on the background really agrees with the red. Violet and red is such a lovely combination. I feel so inspired by the colours in this picture, I definitely have to dig it out from my closet as soon as I have some time to paint something new. Which means, pretty much as soon as it's summer again...

No comments: