Wednesday 14 May 2008

Always stick to what you do best.

I was bored and I felt like trying something new. Behold the result.

I wasted tremendous amounts of paint on this. I wanted to see if I could keep going with the horizontal brush strokes only. I didn't quite follow it through. It looks kind of fun, though.

The colours are so delicious, too. I love salmon red these days A LOT. I even have these shoes that I use in the spring time that are salmon leather and so good for my feet. Easy to take off in these computer rooms when it's too freaking hot, as it always is. Haven't they noticed it's May? That it's like +10 outside, and hence no need for heating indoors?

I turned off the heating in my apartment in MARCH for pete's sake, yet the heating was on in the staircase this morning! Is that fucked up or what, if not then I don't know what is!!!! I mean, c'mON with the global warming and all, we should be SAVING energy, not WASTING it just to make people feel as uncomfortable as possible!!!!!!!!! I'm so aggravated by this every single time I enter any of the university buildings.

Well, in all fairness, the old main building does have a nice air conditioning system (which you could argue is a waste of energy as well, but let's not go there now), and often I'm actually cold during lectures there! Not that I mind it though - better so than being sweaty and smelly and changing your shirt every day and WASHING THE LAUNDRY so often that it WASTES ENERGY even more! What a vicious cycle, don't you agree?! This is not supposed to be an officially green university, but since we're trying to save paper here, why not energy? Why does saving and thinking about the environment have to be limited to one thing only? Why not save on the one biggest single factor which uses energy in general?

And while I'm on the subject that I could go on about forevermore, what's up with people not wanting to put on more clothes? They complain about cold weather when it's -5 celsius outside! What happened to Finnish people? Where did sisu go??? You know, they still sell sweaters and pullovers in shops in case you don't own one. Put on some clothes, and what d'you know, you're not cold anymore! No need for excessive heating and wasting energy!

Besides, I read in the paper yesterday that being too warm and comfortable all the time can lead to allergies in children. There's been an explosion of allergies in recent years, I take it. Wow, I'm going to be such a great parent some day. No candy (because it ruins their teeth), no heating (see above), no fancy, trendy clothes but only hand-me-downs (for obvious reasons), internet only an hour a day (so they get exercise and go play in the dirt so they'll acquire a normal immune system), oh and I'll also be watching that they really do their homework, since I could have done so much better in that area in my time.

Oh, and as a model for the painting I had the singer from Poets of the Fall. It's a Finnish band that I fell in love with last summer, or the summer before that. My memory fails me constantly. Old age doesn't come alone apparently. The singer is so cute, anyway. The clown I posted earlier was also modelled on him, though the likeness is arguable in both cases.

No comments: