Thursday 10 January 2008

Through the Looking-Glass.

Ok, it was about time I remembered I have a blog! I've had this feeling for days that there's something I should do whenever I read my email at university computers, yet I couldn't put my finger on it.. It's so difficult to remember which sites you should/want to visit, and whatever else that you can only do online, when you can't keep a list of bookmarks. All you have to rely on is your memory. And that, my dear, is fallible, especially in my case. I'm such a scatterbrain.

What is more, I got a new, expensive usb storage device (is it called a 'memory stick' in English, as well??), and these Goddarn uni computers can't even recognize it!!! For ***** sake, what the **** is wrong with these ****ing things??!! The only reason I need big portable storage devices (sounds a bit show-offy doesn't it) is so I can transport big files from uni computers to my home laptop, since I have no internet connection at home. And there goes the sole purpose of my new device, right down the drain.

But let's put that sucky situation aside now. Last night, I actually slept more than 6 hours! Yay! I feel so refreshed. I guess my neighbour thought I should get some sleep at least every couple of days, since she fired her cannon only once, then stopped. Yes, that's what it sounds like, more or less - whatever it is that she does every morning at 5 am, it sounds like a cannon blast. And then I sound like a bloodthirsty tiger when I deliver my usual profanities and death threats at her.

Ok, so I'd forgotten I'd done this lovely little painting. It was so long ago - I feel like I've come a long way since, in all respects. I think this is when I realised how much more fun it is to paint alla prima, not letting the paint dry, but instead finishing it at once. But I'm not exactly sure why the face on the right looks kind of overexposed.

Oh, and the background was done with a palette knife. You can make a nice, smooth surface with it, if you use a lot of paint. It's a good thing when you've blended too much of some colour, and have no other use for it. But the downside is, that coat of paint will probably start to crack or peel over time.

These are the kind of creatures I used to love to draw when I was younger. Sort of caricature-like, grotesque, often had wings and fangs and what else. Now I just go for naturalism, trying to make the faces look as much their owner as possible. It's actually quite dull: all I ever paint these days are faces, continued with a little bit of neck.

1 comment:

Amoena said...

Toiset meistä käyttää Del.icio.usta ja löytää bookmarkkinsa kaikilta koneilta joissa on internetyhteys :)