Tuesday 30 October 2007

FPS Inspiration.

Believe it or not, this painting was inspired by a computer game. This was back when Half-Life 2 had just come out, in 2004 to be precise, (or, alternatively, when I was playing it for the umpteenth time), and I was completely taken by its visual look and atmosphere.

Here is a lovely screenshot from the game:

(Picture removed)

My painting was actually inspired by an add-on to the game, Half-Life 2: the Lost Coast. It is a map that was dropped out of the game, which doesn't mean it isn't a great map. The map takes place in a small fishing village located in a small bay, and up on a hill there is a really nice little chapel.

(Picture removed)

The windows in my painting and the light coming from them were pretty much inspired by this lovely view, and look totally pathetic and drab compared to the original. The whole game is non-stop eye candy, so if you're into FPS games, you should definitely try it.

Actually, the second episode has just come out, and I ordered it online. I can't wait to get to play it on my laptop which doesn't even support it with any but impossibly low graphics settings!

No comments: